The RequirementsTo be a strong fit for the Mechanical Engineer opportunity, you will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering
- 3-5+ years of experience with a multi-spectrum focus in engineering and industrial processes
- Proven leadership skills and 1+ years of experience supervising/managing others
- Strong technical skills and knowledge, including:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs (Word and Excel)
- Knowledge and skill with AutoCad and project management software, ideally MS Project; SAP experience is a plus
- Strong knowledge of quality key performance indicators (KPI’s)
- Project specification and quality standards
- Thorough knowledge of safety procedures
- Knowledge of 5S processes and procedures, Kaizen, operational excellence (Lean, Six Sigma); A3 problem solving
- Experience with process control projects and capital projects; strong project management skills
- Experience with SOP writing and process audits
- Ability to train and guide all the employee's corrective actions
- Bilingual English/Spanish is a plus
- Team oriented, self-motivated and innovative
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills with the ability to lead teams and work effectively at all levels in the organization
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong decision-making and problem-solving skills
- Ability to manage multiple processes simultaneously
Pictured: DECRA® Villa Tile combines the superior performance of steel with the classic beauty, elegance and architectural detail of an old world Italian tile.
The RoleOpportunity Snapshot
Reporting to the Vice President of Operations, with a dotted line to the Manufacturing Manager, as Manufacturing Engineer, you will work at our plant in Corona and be responsible for driving continuous improvement in product quality, process efficiency, and reporting. You will also directly supervise two experienced Engineering Technicians covering the plant 24 hours a day, Monday through Friday. The team is strong and stable and easy to work with.
Your primary mission initially, will be to improve and establish process controls. You will write SOPS, train others on processes, create action plans and more. Specifically, you will:
- Plan, design and implement repeatable manufacturing processes.
- Establish process consistency and capability through online process control systems.
- Use methodical and systematic problem-solving techniques to find and eliminate root causes for problems.
- Take a data driven approach for corrective actions & problem-solving.
- Fabricate and test models and evaluate their effectiveness prior to introduction into manufacturing.
- Plan, initiate and perform manufacturing activities for major projects as well as develop and maintain manufacturing processes associated with the specific product lines and machine equipment.
- Assist in the development of new or improved existing manufacturing processes to reduce cost and improve quality by applying innovative and creative technical solutions.
You will typically work an 8-5 shift, but should also be available after hours as required to meet demands and occasionally answer calls from your team. As you come onboard, you will train with the Continuous Improvement Manager who was recently promoted from Manufacturing Engineer, then closely interact with him on process improvements.
As part of your duties, you will:
- Assist with Capital Equipment Projects and other major projects as assigned by the VP of Operations.
- Design, plan and layout plant systems, equipment, workstations, and facilities based upon general concepts/requirements minimizing required floor space. Work with maintenance on electrical, ventilation, and compressed air requirements for such areas.
- Assist the R&D Group with conducting trial runs for new products.
- Perform time study and establish run rates to aid in the costing of products.
- Participate in the specification and selection of capital equipment.
- Participate in the Corrective Action Process to assure corrective action is completed.
- Work in conjunction with multi-functional teams to solve production problems.
- Coordinate the introduction of new and modified production processes, and maintain processing data.
- Specify equipment that would improve processes, productivity, and quality. Prepare substantiating documentation to support the installation of said equipment.
- Coordinate installation of equipment with participating departments, outside vendors and contractors.
- Start-up and troubleshoot new or redesign equipment.
- Provide training to operators and maintenance personnel.
- Design and implement lean manufacturing concepts into production processes.
- Ensure Environmental Health & Safety considerations during design and/or making significant changes to the facility.
- Provide quick resolution of CapEx reports and provide assistance to contractors and maintenance.
Pictured above: DECRA® Shingle XD® has the rich bold appearance of a heavy weight architectural shingle at a fraction of the weight. Pictured below: DECRA® Tile, offering the beauty and style of Mediterranean Tile and the lightweight components of stone coated steel; adds a unique elegance to any home.
More Good ReasonsBroad visibility
You'll interact with colleagues in a variety of departments, giving you a bird's eye view of our operations. This will include the Continuous Improvement Manager, Manufacturing Manager, Customer Service, Sales and Marketing.
We are pursuing strong growth initiatives, backed by our parent corporation, Fletcher Building, and driven by new leadership and fresh ideas. In addition to expanding the scope of this role, that growth could create the need for proven leaders to move up. We are committed to promoting from within whenever possible.
We have a strong and stable service-centric culture built over years and we're also breathing new life into our mission and values as we grow the company. You'll be able to build on strengths and success, and you'll also find the team open to better ways of doing things.
Our company growth is being driven by industry growth throughout the Americas. Not only is the industry growing, the demand for metal roofing is growing, making this the right position at the right time.
Best of both worlds
At DECRA you can enjoy the entrepreneurial energy and culture of a smaller, fast-growth company, backed by the stability and resources of a global industry leader.
Our employees are our strongest asset and we care for them through a comprehensive compensation and benefits package. In addition to a competitive base salary plus bonus opportunity, we offer broad benefits including all you'd expect, such as a range of insurances and generous paid time off, as well as a few surprises, such as an education reimbursement program.
Pictured: DECRA Shake XD, emulating the classic beauty and architectural detail of a rustic, thick, hand-split wood shake, has a unique hidden fastening system and is installed direct to the deck.
Keys to SuccessTo excel in this role you will have will have a lean mindset that has you constantly asking, "How can we be better tomorrow than we are today?" Our environment is a perfect fit: Instead of worrying about fixing things that are broken, you'll be able to focus on making a good thing even better.
Your technical knowledge will be essential, but your communication and interpersonal skills will be equally important. Your success will depend on your ability to interact and partner effectively not only with your team but also with people in other departments. You'll find a collaborative environment and we'll expect you to fit in well by establishing rapport with your internal partners. For example, you will come in each morning, review what happened the day before and share the knowledge with the team during the morning meeting.
You should also be a leader who is independent and doesn't need a lot of direction to resolve problems and find solutions --someone who can rally the troops and complete an investigation without having to be told what needs to be done.
Pictured: The strength and durability of a stone coated steel roof is combined with the versatile good looks of a tile, shake or shingle profile to give you a DECRA roofing system. Panels come in a variety of profiles and colors.
About UsWith a proven commitment to quality and performance, DECRA Roofing Systems has sixty years of experience manufacturing and marketing stone coated steel roofing systems.
DECRA® Roofing Systems' combines the strength and durability of a stone coated steel roof with the versatile good looks of a tile, shake or shingle profile. Our panels have a unique interlocking design to withstand high winds and add shear strength. This unique design allows for roofing panels that contain numerous protective layers. Each of these layers serves the dual function of protection or adhesion for the next processing step of the DECRA® roofing system.
DECRA Roofing Systems are manufactured in Corona, California at a state of the art manufacturing facility registered by UL to ISO 9001:2008, OHSAS 18001 and most recently ISO 14001:2004.
With more than 19,000 people across 40 countries, the Fletcher Building family is a global community made up of people who use all of their experience, skills and individuality to do amazing work. With over 50 businesses operating in five continents, we are enriched by many different languages, customs and lifestyles.
Many of our businesses are household names, such as The Fletcher Construction Company, Formica, PlaceMakers, Winstone Aggregates, Rocla Quarry Products, Gerard Roofing, and Pink® Batts®, so you could say that from the home DIY job to the most complex large-scale construction projects, Fletcher Building people are making great things happen. We have operations in Europe, Asia, The Americas, Australasia and the South Pacific. DECRA® Roofing Systems is a proud member of the Fletcher Building family of companies.